Three churches were established in the 19th century because two religious denominations believed their churches could help meet the needs of the people in Woodbury and Hampden. Residents of the Hampden-Clipper area walked via the Union Avenue bridge to the only Methodist Episcopal Church in the area located in Woodbury.
Concern for the spiritual formation of the mill workers in North Baltimore caused the Pennsylvania Conference of the United Brethren to commit themselves to a Woodbury Mission with the appointment of a missionary. What became Otterbein Memorial United Methodist Church began with just ten members in a school house across the street from Woodbury Methodist Episcopal Church.
Woodbury Methodist Episcopal Church sent a mission to the Roland Avenue area and started the Roland Avenue Church, with the help of the Hooper family.
July 1, 1999
Former members and friends of three United Methodist Churches: Woodbury (1843), Otterbein Memorial (1871), and Roland Avenue Evergreen (1887), merged into one church bearing a new name. Since Otterbein Memorial’s building was chosen for the merged congregation, its name was changed to Good Shepherd UMC signifying the merge of three churches into one new church. Our first worship service as Good Shepherd UMC was on July 4, 1999.
August 1, 2008
A lightning strike to Mount Vernon UMC’s steeple caused a severe fire. The congregation used Good Shepherd’s facilities for worship during their time of loss.
July 1, 2009
In March 2009, Mount Vernon UMC’s congregation voted to merge with Good Shepherd UMC, which became effective on July 1, 2009.
Since our mergers in 1999 and 2009, Good Shepherd UMC has continued to help meet the needs of the community by supporting the local area Food Pantry, the Hampden Family Center, Hampden Elementary/Middle School #55, and other outreach programs, non-profits, and churches in Baltimore. Our names may have changed, but our ministry continues to serve the community across three centuries by working with one another to help others.
*historical information prepared by Nancy Cromwell, Historian of Good Shepherd UMC.
Input your search keywords and press Enter.